Sunday 15 December 2013

Leave at Last!


I'm on leave! 

OK time to buckle down and knock a lot of pesky items off my to-do list!

First off was to take off all the connectors that came with the loom and replace them with better ones.  

Let me explain. As an example the rear lights terminate in tags, which is all OK, however there is no connector block to connect to the Hella rear light cluster, so I had to remove that connector and replace it with a more common (and available) connector, and place the proper on the loom. And I had to do it for all the connector blocks on the car - front indicators, headlights etc. It was a bit fiddly having to do all that because I had to remove the rear wheels to get in there. Plus the wiring colours on the loom did not match the wiring colours on the cluster so I had to start using a multimeter to sort that out.

 



 The sparkies are going to be tasked with fixing under the dashboard, supplying a speedo pick up and checking that she doesn't go up in flames when I turn the key. Oh and the electric water pump, cooling fan, ECU etc etc  

Next I replaced two top wishbone bolts with the stainless steel equivalent. Looks very zoosh but I am wondering if it was the right thing to do.....

This morning I fitted the windscreen to the scuttle. I drilled the holes as per the instructions and found that you actually have to fit the brackets to the windscreen (loosely) and then fit the whole lot to the scuttle, as there is a fair bit of angular misalignment. I eased that a bit by using foam tape between the brackets and the windscreen (helps to seal it too) and between the bracket and the scuttle (protects that paint finish). Good thing the bracket is not too rigid and it does twist a fair bit. The scuttle has gone from being a flibbery-flobbery bit of painted ally to a very rigid bit of bodywork. The mirrors were added after I took this photo.

 

Later today I will give her a good wash down. She has gotten extremely dirty over the past 7 months. You can see that in the top photo.

 What's left?

Wiring - that is being done right now.

Rear luggage compartment.

Roll cage - niggly problem - the bobbins in the chassis do not line up, I am going to have to drill out the threads

Side interior panels
Carpets and centre console
Seats
Scuttle fitting
Bleed the brakes and the clutch
Grease up the cams with non-seize paste
START UP and run in the cams for 10 minutes at 2500rpm
Wheel alignment
Roadworthy and shakedown cruise
REGISTER
Check her power on a Dyno, (although I should have a fair idea by then)



My next move after this project is to build a new gearbox that can take 250hp – I do not think the one I have fitted can even hack whatever power this current engine can put out, and secondly a new engine capable of 250hp.

I am already on the lookout for a breaker engine and gearbox, and the go faster bits come from the UK (@17:1 ouch!!!!)












 

No comments:

Post a Comment