Monday 10 February 2014

A Newish HD Gearbox and Grille

The second hand gearbox arrived from Cape Town but it was missing some very vital bits. In fact it arrived not as a gearbox but literally as a box of bits:

The 5th gear locking plate, detent pin and spring, oil filler plug, and selector detent plug screw were all missing.

The input shaft was toast - no gear teeth!

No problem though as I have ordered a host of bits and pieces from Bearingkits.co.uk to replace bearings, gaskets and seals. also synchro rings, springs and HD inserts. Unfortunately the missing bits will have to be found.

One of the selector forks was also a bit dodgy so I ordered a new set of 1/2 and 3/4 selector forks from Autogear.co.uk.

I am also going to order a set of close ratio gears from SPC so I have a decent tall first gear. Basically it is a new I/P shaft and new laygear cluster, plus new 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th gears. All on an HD layshaft with a special bush on which the uprated laygear bearing rides. 

On the grille side my pal with a CNC machine cut me a very neat "7" out of 3mm ally plate.

The sparkies are actually doing something as well. Gerhard is trying for mid Feb but I don't think he is going to make that deadline.

Another good local find was a very good condition 2 litre Focus Duratec engine which I want to fettle up into a 250hp motor, funds permitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment