Wednesday 18 July 2012

Installing and timing the Camshafts

I picked up my shiny new cam buckets from the Ford dealer yesterday afternoon and installed those last night. These are just a drop-in fit so no sweat there.

Then I fitted the exhaust camshaft and checked the clearances - they are all 10 - 12 thou which is well within specification.

Up to this point the cam sprockets have been loose on the cams it was now time to install the timing chain. The workshop manual speaks of a bar that fits across the slots at the back of the two cams, but this is not usually available to the home engineer. I can however tell you that a pair of 5mm allen keys works extremely well in this situation. I had a pair of EVO 1 cam friction washers which ensures there is no "cam slip". This is very similar to the friction washer you get on the crankshaft damper - a little diamond encrusted steel washer.

With the keys in place I torqued up the camshaft bolts and draped the chain over the sprockets, installed the tensioner guides and arms, finally the tensioner itself and then pulled the pin. The tensioner instantly released and took up the slack and the whole camshaft, crankshaft, timing chain train is now completely assembled and ready for the front cover. Of course the crankshaft sprocket is loose on the crankshaft, as we still have to align the crank TDC with the cams.
I still have to get a Cam Position Sensor blanking plug, and a Cam Cover Breather banjo bolt. And a dipstick.....

Satisfied with my evening's work I covered the engine up (it's no longer just a block) and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment