Thursday 26 July 2012

The week so far....

After finishing the engine and gearbox I am now faced with the prospect of installing them into the chassis.

First they have to be joined - this should not be a hassle as I have lined up the gearbox spline with the clutch and pressure plate. To that end I have fitted the bellhousing and the annular clutch slave cylinder to the gearbox. A quick dimensional check of the input shaft/slave cylinder/clutch pressure plate relationship shows everything should fit together as it is supposed to.




To join the two both have to be laid on the ground or some other surface, there is no way it can be done on the engine stand, and then taken off - it is way too heavy.

My cunning plan comprises a castor wheeled low trolley on which I can lay the engine and the gearbox, and join them up. Then roll the trolley to the waiting chassis.

I already have a heavy plank, and yesterday I got some heavy duty castor wheels - some nuts, bolts and washers and I will have a giant skateboard!
Speaking of the chassis, I have not got either my shocks or rear uprights from the factory yet. I can do nothing without the uprights, shocks and wheels in place.

I have since cancelled using the heavy plank, instead I will buy some new timber....

No comments:

Post a Comment