Monday 28 May 2012

Front Suspension

Today is the first "Official" day of my build. During the week I have been going through boxes of bits and sorting into logical groups. I found I have 2 rev counters, and no speedo. Cheryl has supplied me with a build sequence so I am confident I can do this. Unfortunately I don't have instructions for the IRS installation.

First thing to go on was the front suspension. This is fairly well covered in the Build Doctor.

I laid out the wishbones to familiarise myself with what goes where.

First I installed the lower wishbones, they went in with not too much fuss, I had to grind away at a bush to make room for a washer, and install an extra washer on one mount so that I would have something solid to torque down on to. The mounts are pretty well exposed so it is easy to tap in the washers using a flat blade screw driver and a hammer.

Next to go in was the steering rack, and it was here I saw the chassis differed from the Build Manual. But no problem either. The ally mounting clamps were a poor fit to the rack but placing the assembly on a hard surface and whacking them (hard) sorted that out. In they went.

Then the Upper Wishbones - no problem at all - just a minor grind on one of the bushes and we were in business.

Easiest of the lot was the anti-roll bar. 10 minutes.

Now all I need is the shocks and I can fit the uprights. The shocks are in Durban and only coming end of June.

Not too bad for a day's work!


No comments:

Post a Comment