Friday 31 August 2012

Engine Installation - The First Try

This afternoon I hurried home to do some of the work needed before the lift.

During the day Alastair went to Struck and Schulz and swopped out the two mounting bolts for M12 socket head cap screws.

First thing to do was drill the body and establish a hole so that the port mounting bolt could be inserted. This was done relatively quickly with my die grinder, and then I moved to the exhaust portal and made a minor cut so that this bolt could be inserted in a similar fashion.

Off came the propshaft, and the gearbox mount was reversed.

Good, now we were ready, Alastair manned the crane jack and eased the engine off the trolley while I guided the motor up into the well. We were a well oiled team - poetry in motion - synchronised swimming has nothing on us.

But......

Our first lift revealed a problem we hadn't seen in the dark last night - the body dimension between the chassis mounts is about 4mm too narrow for the engine plus its mounts. This means I must grind down the mating faces of the steel mounts that hold the polypropylene flexible bobbins.

Good thing I now have a disc grinder.

God, I love power tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment