Tuesday 28 August 2012

Preparation for the engine installation

So the preparations for preparing to install the engine in the chassis.....we're thinking about getting ready to start those.

We have the chassis up on the stand, and I am thinking that all along it has been really enjoyable working on the car at waist height, everything is accessable, I can get under the car easily....

So I am not going to drop the chassis onto the engine, I am going to lift the engine up into the chassis with the aid of a engine crane - a cheap and cheerful chinese foldup with 2 ton capacity is about R1600 - and work on the car while it is on the stand. When we have to drop the whole running car on the ground? I'll burn that bridge when it comes to crossing it!

When the engine is up inside, the trolley becomes a crawler.

We rolled the engine round to the workplace and slid it under the chassis - I had to lift the front while Al pushed it in.

 Here's another view from above:



I have identified a couple of potential hang up points like the manifold studs and the sharp eyed amongst you will have noticed that I have fitted the gearbox mounting plate arse about face.

No comments:

Post a Comment