Wednesday 19 September 2012

Coil Pack......EPIC FAIL!!!!

Ok so I run down to my local Ford dealer and I order a new coil pack, as the old one is pretty beat up and chipped.

I specifically mention I want the one with the SQUARE connector port, post 2008, so it matches my Webcon harness.

I pay R850 because it has to be ordered special.

Cool, I wait for a day and I get a call from them to say my coil pack has arrived.

Yeah, you guessed it, it is the old one with the oval connector.

The confusion came in because I asked for a Coolant Temp Sensor for a 2002 Mondeo 2.0l and she ordered the coil pack from that model as well.

Fortunately the Webcon harness comes with an oval connector (as a spare), so I spent the evening cutting off the new-style square connector and attaching the old-style oval one to the harness.

I attached the wires to the new old-style oval connector the same way they were connected to the old new-style square connector.

The worst that can happen is that the engine will not start because the spark is being delivered at BDC instead of TDC. Swop the 2 wires around I am back in business.

Doing some internet research I found that when they changed over the coil pack from the old oval type to the new square type the orientation of the wires was indeed changed over, so I disassembled my new old-style oval connector and swopped the wires. These things are not meant to be taken apart once they are put together with the result that the metal contacts are a bit munched. I will try and source a new old-style oval connector from Ford.

Confused yet??

With my luck they will send me a new new-style square one, instead of a new old-style oval one.....

Quick note to everyone reading or accessing this blog - PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS IF YOU LIKE OR DO NOT LIKE WHAT YOU SEE AND READ!!

I see my count is on the rise - even from folks in Alaska.....?? I am trying to keep it light but unfortunately the content does require some technical talk!!



2 comments: