Monday 17 June 2013

Huffing and puffing .... Not!!

So I head down to my favourite glue merchant but it being a public holiday in South Africa the shop is shut. So no chance to get in some thoroughly legal glue sniffing and incidental carpet fitting today. I did pick up a brand new pop rivet gun to replace my mangy old one, as well as 3 bottles of brake fluid.

So instead of doing carpets I decide to fit the stoneguards, which was pretty hectic because it involved me having to drill into my lovely red mudguards. Not a difficult job but be careful and have some extra pop rivets and washers on hand because sometimes you have to drill out one or two (OK five, if you insist on the amount). I forgot to put on the edge rubber both times!!



Having completed both sides the next move was to install the centre console. Again the rivnut tool was broken out and 4 rivnuts strategically placed - two on either side of the prop shaft tunnel. At this point I fitted the two safety belt stalks (loosely). They are not the type that has an electrical warning connection so the wires in the loom have been terminated and the seatbelt warning light will not feature on the console.


Having satisfied the mechanical urge to bolt stuff together I turned to the exhaust headers and muffler. I have elected to wrap the headers in DEI titanium lagging which is supposed to have some benefit power wise because it keeps the exhaust system running hotter. Now I failed thermodynamics as a subject at 'varsity (very badly, I might add) so I am unable to verify or disprove their claims to increased power output, reduced fuel consumption and general added longevity of the engine, but I will say their product looks really good looking on a car.

So I sprayed the headers and the muffler matte black with some heat resistant paint. I think the overall effect is going to be awesome - black headers wrapped in a gunmetal fiber set off with stainless steel hoseclamps and a red perforated exhaust shield.

I then called it quits for the day, and cleaned up all the pesky pop rivet wires, then my tools. It is starting to come together, I think. But there is a lot to do yet.

I am going to get a professional to do my wiring. When the car arrived all the wires had neat little tags on them saying what went where. After a year the tags are all faded!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment