Wednesday 27 June 2012

Bits and Pieces Trickle In.....The Gearbox Continued...

Monday saw the arrival of a long awaited box from Burton Power via DHL. In the box was a set of Cosworth 11:1 pistons, gudgeon pins and rings, main bearing and big end shells, conrod bolts, a new friction washer and a crankshaft position sensor.

Last night I took the old piston/con rod assemblies, marked them, and they will go to the local engineering shop to have the old pins pressed out and the new pistons installed.

Also the speedo gear must still come off the mainshaft. It won't be going back on as I won't be needing it, making subsequent stripping jobs a lot easier.

I cleaned up the gearbox parts I have taken off already as far as I could with paraffin, catalogued and bagged them neatly in order so that come re-assembly it will be a lot easier. I even took photos so that I can put it all back together again.

If I can get the bearing sizes and seal sizes for the box I will be even happier. The one bearing on the input shaft is a FAG 545893 single row ball bearing with locator ring - it measures 35*77*17 bearing which I can source, the others I must still get the dimensions because some do not have a number at all!! The local bearing shop says no problem he can get anything I need.

If I want gaskets I am going to have to make my own. Easy peasy. The seals I must pick out of the tail housing but they are going to be completely knackered in that process.

The rear seal plate of the selector housing is gone (as in completely missing) - I am going to make up a plate with some thick aluminium and tap it into place. I am also going to have to source a brass selector saddle, anything plastic on the selector will break or disintegrate inside a week. It is as rough as a bear's arse.

Once I am finished with this box and it has the seals and bearings on it I will have more confidence in the unit.

I am still awaiting a shipment from Raceline. It was supposedly shipped on Friday 22nd and the bucks came out my account, but no tracking number as yet. That has the cam cover, water rail, cams, springs, thermostat housing, flywheel, clutch, and starter motor. Can't wait.

Finally Jeremy (my daughter Fiona's BF) collected some 12mm diff mount bobbins from the factory so I can finish mounting and torquing up the diff. Bless his little cotton socks. The lad is going off to Thailand on Saturday to do some missionary work for 6 months - Fiona is all sniffy and morose. Shame.

This is a bit of an update for future reference:

Front I/P shaft bearing FAG Z-566096 KL-H49A
Rear O/P shaft bearing SKF BB1B-362021

Front Layshaft HD Bearing INA F-208843
Rear Layshaft Bearing Torrington 545995

No comments:

Post a Comment