Sunday 3 June 2012

The Sideshafts, Upper Wishbones and Anti-Roll Bar

Sunday morning and we brace ourselves for the upper wishbones (lousy pun). The day before I had seen the the right upper would go in pretty easily, but the left was going to give us trouble.

And so it proved. Measuring up there was no clearance at all for a 4th washer. Or you could do 2 whole washers and 2 1/2 thickness washers. No matter which way you cut it it was going to be a bear. So out with the grinder. Try again, we bash bolts through and discover we have irrepairably damaged the thread of the rear bolt.

Damn. I'll get one at the local engineering shop.

So in a fit of pique I fit the anti-roll bar (easy-peasy) and the side shafts (also easy-peasy, especially with an angled impact ratchet).

Note at this time NOTHING has been torqued up.

I have a nagging feeling the hubs are sticking out too far...... That's because I am thinking the diff I have is too wide between the flanges (30cm) leaving the sideshafts too long. As soon as I get the rear uprights I will know.

No comments:

Post a Comment