Tuesday 12 June 2012

Fuel Pump

This took a LOOONG hard think.

Common sense tells me the fuel pump has to situated somewhat lower than the bottom of the fuel tank, ensuring a flooded suction at all levels of the fuel tank - dry, full and in-between. Taking a look at inside the rear compartment there is not a lot of space where such an item can be placed. Bear in mind there is a lot of suspension arms and movement in there. Lots of builders resort to an in-tank pump/swirl pot/sender/filter arrangement which is actually a very cool solution (But costly).

I opted to place the pump vertically next to the fuel tank on the left hand side bolted on to inside the aluminium skin.  From the outside you see only 2 bolt heads and the wheel covers them anyway. It looks good and usually if it looks good it generally is good (but not always). The fuel feed comes from the bottom of the tank to the pump intake, out the pump at the top, over the wheel arch and down to the filter before entering the delivery pipe to the front of the car.


My only gremlin is vibration and to mitigate that I am going to use a great gob of silicone sealer to anchor the bracket to the steel tube member. The fuel pump bracket is a mangy piece of engineering that needs to be replaced with something waaaaay more solid. It relies on two pop rivets and offcut aluminium sheeting. I think this is an item for my "Fix This Before You Start Driving" list. I have got a bracket engineered in my head but it is going to cost a bit. Nice plug for Mechanix gloves, don'cha think?

No comments:

Post a Comment